Friday, April 19, 2013

Church Marquees

I love to read church marquees. The messages are so inspiring and thought provoking. One of our local churches, St. Mark AME Church in Summerton (whose pastor is Rev. Aretha G. Johnson, a member of Liberty Hill), displays the following on their marquee – JOB FAIR—GOD NEEDS GOOD WORKERS. This message got me to thinking – what would a job fair or interview be like with God.

Who would one encounter for the initial interview – will it be Jesus Christ himself, since He is our advocate. “Well, my child, why are you qualified to be God’s Worker?” What will your response be?

When you pass the first interview, your 2nd interview may be with the Holy Spirit. “Show me, my child – how do you praise our God?” What will your demonstration be like? Will you break out into song and dance? Say a prayer? Preach a sermon? Maybe, cook a meal?

Then finally, you get to interview directly with God. Are you nervous? Do you keep all of the Ten Commandments? Do you “love” everybody? Do you tithe? How would you respond to these interview questions? What are the answers God is looking for? Why would he ask? He already knows…

Everyone is QUALIFIED to be one of God’s workers. You only need to have the desire to do God’s will. “As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” [1 Peter 4:10] Everyone has a gift that can be shared for the glory of God. Maybe you are a great singer; maybe you can organize things really well. Maybe you are a great debater. You might be saying to yourself, “I can’t do anything well.” Yes you can. EVERYONE can be a worker for God.

“What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” [James 2:14-17]

We all have talents and gifts to share that may be used for God’s glory. We can’t all preach, sing, cook, or even clean. But we can all love. “What if I could speak all languages of humans and even of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. What if I could prophesy and understand all mysteries and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing unless I loved others. What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others. Love is patient and kind, never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude. Love isn’t selfish or quick tempered. It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do. Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. Love never fails…Now all we can see of God is like a cloudy picture in a mirror. Later we will see him face to face. We don’t know everything, but then we will, just as God completely understands us. For now there are faith, hope and love. But of these three, the greatest is LOVE.” [1 Corinthians 13:1-8, 12-13, CEV]

I hope that this message has blessed you and inspired you to become one of God’s workers, in any capacity! We all live a purpose driven life that we can use to glorify God.

Sincerely,

Liberty Hill PR

No comments:

Post a Comment